Miyerkules, Marso 26, 2014

Thursday, 3rd week of Lent year II


REACH YOUR DREAMS EVEN IN POVERTY (Homily for graduating High School Students)

When I was still in pre-school our teacher required us to recite in front of the class our ambitions in life or what we want to be in the future.  That time, I said: “I want to become an engineer someday”.

Most of us have ambitions in life. Maybe some of you want to become a lawyer, a teacher, a doctor, a nurse and I think nobody would like to become a priest.

I started my elementary grades with full of struggles. Since I belong to a poor family, I have to work and earn extra money to pay some of the requirements in school.  Namaligya mi ug tinap-anan sa among silingan: kana bitaw’ng isda nga gituhog. Poor family as we are, we lived in the middle of a rice field, our house is very small hut with one room, a living room and a dilapidated small kitchen. Kon magbutang kag jolen didto sa flooring sa kitchen, moligid na ang jolen kay nagtakilid naman. We have no electricity; our light is only made up of an empty bottle with a gas on it (kana gong palongpalong).  Our only appliance in the house is a small AM radio. Since, we belong to a poor family, we need to work together in order to survive.

Why is it that I am sharing this to you my dear graduating students? This is because poverty for me is not a hindrance to have a good education. If you will know how to work together with your family, parents and students, together you will conquer your dreams and ambitions. Mga ginikanan, paminaw kamo dili babag ang kapobrehon sa pag eskwela sa bata. Daghan ang pamaagi aron matapos ang pagtuon. Bahalag mag antos basta sa umaabot masantos ra.

(sample: personal experience with my father) kaniadto sa dihang nangayo mi ug kuarta sa among papa kay mobalik nami sa school, nakahilak ko nagtan aw sa “shorts” sa akong papa kay gision na kaayo busa ako siyang gipa-ilis apan mao raman daw to iyang “shorts”. Kalooy sa akong papa oi! Wala namay “shorts”. However, we did not surrender, we continue to fight.

Because of the effort of my parents, their 5 siblings had graduated in college. We are actually 5 brothers and 1 sister in the family. The eldest did not finished college since he got married earlier. My eldest sister is now a teacher at Valencia National High School. My younger brother next to me is now an Engineer working at a big company in Manila. My other brother stays at home since nobody would take care of our parents and the farm. The youngest one is also an engineer, working at a Japanese company in Cebu city. The last one that I did not mention becomes a priest.

My dear parents and graduating students, I am not boasting myself. I just want to let you know that even in poverty; we can still pursue our dreams and ambitions in life. Working together is the most important part of the game. Like what our gospel is saying today.
17
But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls.

 Next school year is the new beginning of your college life. Whatever school you are in, be courageous and continue your journey towards your dream. If you will survived great prize will be waiting for you.
Today, I challenged you to go on. Be ambitious. Reach that dreams of yours. Reach the unreachable stars.


http://frritchellsquitahomilies.blogspot.com/

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento